Monday, February 3, 2014

Using Blogs to Meet Learning Standards


With the development of technologies, blog is emerging as an efficient tool to communicate with students and for professional development. For a start, I think that using blogs can facilitate idea sharing and interaction outside classroom. According to my experience, some students are too shy to make a speech or ask a question in class. However, if I can use blog as a teaching tool, these students can feel more relaxed to ask me question or communicate with their classmates on written form. In addition, once students have some new ideas, they can share them immediately and don’t need to wait till the next class.

     As for professional development, I think blog is very useful. By using blog, I can do several reflections. For my experience in last semester, I have learned that self-reflection is very important for teachers. Through writing down my teaching experience, I can find flaws in my teaching plan and what I failed to consider before classes. Blog can provide me with a good platform to do reflections. More importantly, on my blog, I can receive valuable feedback. Some colleagues may pay attention to my blog. Thus, after I post some of my experience, they may point out my disadvantages or flaws of my teaching plans or teaching methods. And I can make improvements.

     According to ACTFL National Standards for Foreign Language Education , I think there are two important standards which blogging could meet. The first one is that by blogging students can obtain information, express feelings and emotions, and exchange opinions. For example, before every class, I can put reading links on blog and students can better do their preview. Then after class, I can organize a small forum on blog in which students can express their feelings or gains from the class(just like we do how did it go in this course). Secondly, by blogging students can present information, concepts and ideas to an audience of readers on a variety of topics. For instance, students can present everything they are interested in on blog including music, movies, fashion show or current events etc. In this way, students would practice their reading and writing ability potentially on various topics.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lijun~ That is a good idea to share your blog with colleagues to absorb new ideas and to help each other when you need advice. I also agree that blogs can improve studetns' reading and writing skills. I am sure that I could see their improvement little by little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lijun,
    I like your idea about using your blog to reflect. Maybe you might think of additional ideas regarding a lesson that went well by reflecting. Also I think considering students' interests in movies, music, fashion and current events greatly facilitates learning. I enjoyed reading reading your remarks. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lijun,
    I really like your thoughts using blogs because some students may be shy. That was me. I also think blogging for professional development is great in the sense of reflection and learning from others. I also like the idea of students being about to share their interests while blogging, that is important and can be a way students can express their own interests.

    ReplyDelete